Sunday, May 9, 2010

Book review: The Lost (Gaunt's Ghost Omni)

This is the 3rd Gaunt Omni that I have plowed through.  For entertainment value these books are great and always a fun read.  But I felt that this book was the weakest of the 3 massive omni's but still worth reading.  The first book in this Omni was great but then the series had a tendency to trail off after that.


My big issues with the books were:
Abnett likes to kill characters but he always replaces them.  So I always get the feeling when some is introduced that someone is about to die.  Also he seems to be mining the same themes over and over again.  I don't know if its noticeable if you read the books over the years they were released but when you condense your Gaunt experience into one year you get the feeling you have read this book before.


At the end of the day I am still looking forward to the next Omnibus but really want to see this story wrap up and close some loose ends.  Hopefully he finishes it off with the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment