Friday, October 2, 2009

Bogged down in Ravenor

Dont know if I am experiencing a little bit of Black Library burnout but I am having a hard time getting into the Ravenor Omni. I think there are a couple factors but the main reason seems to be is that I am not really digging Ravenor as a character. Comparing him to Eisenhorn, Gaunt, and the characters in the Horus Heresy books he seems sorta weak.

I might just take a break for a bit on the book and go grab Margaret Atwood's new book today. I liked Onyx and Crake even tho a lot of people didn't and could go for something different.

2 comments:

  1. I'd have to agree with you. Loved the Eisenhorn books, read them back to back. Also love the Gaunts Ghosts book, I've almost finished them all.

    But Ravenor .......

    I've tried three times to get into it and I've never made it past the first few chapters. For me I think it's because the other books use a much simpler form of writing, so you can lose yourself easily in the story.

    Whereas with Ravenor, I spend most of my time wondering what this word or that word means and so I can't get into the story line.

    It's a shame, because I really like Dan Abnett.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abnett is by far one of my favorite authors as well but I agree with you; the Ravenor books are tough. I think it might be cause they are a little more serious, dont feel as tied to the 40k board game as the others and might be trying to do too much.

    Who knows

    ReplyDelete